Luol Deng tifosissimo dei Chicago Fire

Il Punto d'incontro dei Fans di MLS di Play.it USA
francospicciariello
Senior
Senior

Luol Deng tifosissimo dei Chicago Fire

Post by francospicciariello »

Posto questo articolo dell'ESPN su Luol Deng (Chicago Bulls) e la sua passione per il calcio e la MLS qui altrimenti nell'area NBA pensano ad una provocazione  (scherzo :D)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=493252&root=us&cc=5739
Chicago Bulls' Luol Deng
Luis Arroyave, Special to ESPNsoccernet

CHICAGO -- Luol Deng was kicking around a soccer ball long before he ever picked up a basketball. Although he eventually gave up soccer in order to pursue his hoop dreams, he tells ESPNsoccernet that he remains a die-hard fan of the beautiful game.

ESPNsoccernet: How did you first become interested in soccer?
LD: When you're African or European, you get into it. I was born in Sudan, and grew up in Egypt and then England. We would play with balls made of socks or put a towel over a balloon and wrap duct tape around it. We used a tennis ball a lot too. Only in big games did we use a soccer ball.

ESPNsoccernet: Did you ever dream about becoming a professional soccer player?
LD: I always wanted to be a soccer player. That was my first love. I played midfielder and striker. I used to tell people how I was going to celebrate after I scored goals. I was going to take off my shirt and pose or I was going to run to the corner and do a little dance or slide. We would watch players celebrate goals in a game and do the celebration the next day at school.

ESPNsoccernet: When did basketball come into the picture?
LD: I would play basketball now and then and my brother and his friends would say, "You're really good." Soccer was what I wanted to do, but I had this growth spurt where I became taller than everyone. It just made more sense.

ESPNsoccernet: Is it true you were invited to try out for England's U-15 soccer team?
LD: Yeah, I was 14 and was having an amazing year for my school team. Being called up was a great honor, but around that time I also got called up for England's basketball team. It had to be one or the other. I decided if I'm going to do basketball, I have to stop with soccer.

ESPNsoccernet: Was it a difficult decision?
LD: It was a really tough decision. I wanted to keep playing. Every now and then I'll stay after practice and play soccer. I'll kick the ball around sometimes with [Bulls' guard] Thabo [Sefolosha] -- sometimes with [forward] Andres [Nocioni]. It's in me. I still love it.

ESPNsoccernet: Who were your favorite soccer players growing up?
LD: Ronaldo. He was unbelievable. I had a Ronaldo poster. One of the reasons I fell in love with the No. 9 [Deng's jersey number] was because of Ronaldo. He's still my favorite player of all time. I was also a fan of Ian Wright and Patrick Vieira.

ESPNsoccernet: You've said in past interviews that you're an Arsenal fan -- why the Gunners?
LD: I grew up in London and they were the team my father liked. I liked their style. I watched a lot of their games on TV while growing up but I never went to any. The last couple of years I've gone to a few games. I was at the opening of Emirates [Stadium]. To be there for the opening of your club's new stadium was unbelievable. I had a lot of fun.

ESPNsoccernet: Are you disappointed Thierry Henry left for Barcelona?
LD: I was at the time, but he had to do what's best for him. Being a professional athlete, I understand. A lot of people were mad he left but he has to do what's best for him and his family. I think Arsenal will be fine and I wish him all the best. He's a great guy.

ESPNsoccernet: Are you friends with any soccer players?
LD: I'm really close with Philippe Senderos from Switzerland. I'm friends with a lot of the Arsenal guys. A few of them have connections to Africa so we have that to talk about. Kolo Toure is a big basketball fan. He knows everything about what's going on in the [NBA] season.

ESPNsoccernet: Which soccer players do you think would have made good basketball players?
LD: Paulo Wanchope. He was a very good basketball player. Henry says he's pretty good. I haven't seen him. Senderos played a little. His brother played for Switzerland's national team so he knows basketball.

ESPNsoccernet: Which basketball players would have made good soccer players?
LD: I know Steve Nash plays. His brother played in England -- I remember that. He would have been a great one. You have to look at the guards.

ESPNsoccernet: Do any of your American teammates on the Bulls follow soccer?
LD: They don't know much about it. Every now and then we kick a ball around and juggle and they like what they see.

ESPNsoccernet: What's your record for juggling?
I used to do 200, maybe 200 and something. Right now I think I could get 130 -- maybe more.

ESPNsoccernet: Do you follow Major League Soccer?
LD: A little bit. I was really rooting for the Fire this year. I'm good friends with Diego [Gutierrez]. I watched a few of their games. The league is doing well and is developing. I think in the future it will be a really good league. A lot of players will come here. We just saw David Beckham do that -- other players will follow.

Luis Arroyave is a writer for the Chicago Tribune and also writes a blog The Red Card. He can be reached at: larroyave@tribune.com.  
... I'm soccer crazy... MLS, NASL, USL, NCAA Soccer,  MISL, everything about US soccer (and even Canadian). C'mon pioneers...
blackiesan74
Rookie
Rookie
MLB Team: Boston Red Sox
NFL Team: New England Patriots
NBA Team: Boston Celtics
NHL Team: Boston Bruins

Re: Luol Deng tifosissimo dei Chicago Fire

Post by blackiesan74 »

francospicciariello wrote:Posto questo articolo dell'ESPN su Luol Deng (Chicago Bulls) e la sua passione per il calcio e la MLS qui altrimenti nell'area NBA pensano ad una provocazione  (scherzo :D)

Perché, sarebbe la 1ª volta che gli utenti NBA ci "crocifiggono in sala mensa" per aver osato postare notizie MLS collegate all'NBA?

francospicciariello wrote:http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=493252&root=us&cc=5739
Chicago Bulls' Luol Deng
Luis Arroyave, Special to ESPNsoccernet

CHICAGO -- Luol Deng was kicking around a soccer ball long before he ever picked up a basketball. Although he eventually gave up soccer in order to pursue his hoop dreams, he tells ESPNsoccernet that he remains a die-hard fan of the beautiful game.

ESPNsoccernet: How did you first become interested in soccer?
LD: When you're African or European, you get into it. I was born in Sudan, and grew up in Egypt and then England. We would play with balls made of socks or put a towel over a balloon and wrap duct tape around it. We used a tennis ball a lot too. Only in big games did we use a soccer ball.

ESPNsoccernet: Did you ever dream about becoming a professional soccer player?
LD: I always wanted to be a soccer player. That was my first love. I played midfielder and striker. I used to tell people how I was going to celebrate after I scored goals. I was going to take off my shirt and pose or I was going to run to the corner and do a little dance or slide. We would watch players celebrate goals in a game and do the celebration the next day at school.

ESPNsoccernet: When did basketball come into the picture?
LD: I would play basketball now and then and my brother and his friends would say, "You're really good." Soccer was what I wanted to do, but I had this growth spurt where I became taller than everyone. It just made more sense.

ESPNsoccernet: Is it true you were invited to try out for England's U-15 soccer team?
LD: Yeah, I was 14 and was having an amazing year for my school team. Being called up was a great honor, but around that time I also got called up for England's basketball team. It had to be one or the other. I decided if I'm going to do basketball, I have to stop with soccer.

ESPNsoccernet: Was it a difficult decision?
LD: It was a really tough decision. I wanted to keep playing. Every now and then I'll stay after practice and play soccer. I'll kick the ball around sometimes with [Bulls' guard] Thabo [Sefolosha] -- sometimes with [forward] Andres [Nocioni]. It's in me. I still love it.

ESPNsoccernet: Who were your favorite soccer players growing up?
LD: Ronaldo. He was unbelievable. I had a Ronaldo poster. One of the reasons I fell in love with the No. 9 [Deng's jersey number] was because of Ronaldo. He's still my favorite player of all time. I was also a fan of Ian Wright and Patrick Vieira.

ESPNsoccernet: You've said in past interviews that you're an Arsenal fan -- why the Gunners?
LD: I grew up in London and they were the team my father liked. I liked their style. I watched a lot of their games on TV while growing up but I never went to any. The last couple of years I've gone to a few games. I was at the opening of Emirates [Stadium]. To be there for the opening of your club's new stadium was unbelievable. I had a lot of fun.

ESPNsoccernet: Are you disappointed Thierry Henry left for Barcelona?
LD: I was at the time, but he had to do what's best for him. Being a professional athlete, I understand. A lot of people were mad he left but he has to do what's best for him and his family. I think Arsenal will be fine and I wish him all the best. He's a great guy.

ESPNsoccernet: Are you friends with any soccer players?
LD: I'm really close with Philippe Senderos from Switzerland. I'm friends with a lot of the Arsenal guys. A few of them have connections to Africa so we have that to talk about. Kolo Toure is a big basketball fan. He knows everything about what's going on in the [NBA] season.

ESPNsoccernet: Which soccer players do you think would have made good basketball players?
LD: Paulo Wanchope. He was a very good basketball player. Henry says he's pretty good. I haven't seen him. Senderos played a little. His brother played for Switzerland's national team so he knows basketball.

ESPNsoccernet: Which basketball players would have made good soccer players?
LD: I know Steve Nash plays. His brother played in England -- I remember that. He would have been a great one. You have to look at the guards.

ESPNsoccernet: Do any of your American teammates on the Bulls follow soccer?
LD: They don't know much about it. Every now and then we kick a ball around and juggle and they like what they see.

ESPNsoccernet: What's your record for juggling?
I used to do 200, maybe 200 and something. Right now I think I could get 130 -- maybe more.

ESPNsoccernet: Do you follow Major League Soccer?
LD: A little bit. I was really rooting for the Fire this year. I'm good friends with Diego [Gutierrez]. I watched a few of their games. The league is doing well and is developing. I think in the future it will be a really good league. A lot of players will come here. We just saw David Beckham do that -- other players will follow.

Luis Arroyave is a writer for the Chicago Tribune and also writes a blog The Red Card. He can be reached at: larroyave@tribune.com.  

Be', questo articolo mi rende felice, sia perché Luol Deng è uno dei giovani più in vista nella NBA odierna (e quindi le sue parole hanno sicuramente una certa visibilità) sia perché il suo pensiero sembra sincero e traspare davvero la passione per il calcio.

Quello che un po' mi dà da pensare però è questo: Deng è sudanese ed è cresciuto in Inghilterra; Steve Nash è canadese; altri cestisti che giocano in NBA e si sono pronunciati sul calcio provengono dall'Europa... in sintesi, non ho ancora sentito nessuno statunitense parlare della MLS, quasi che la considerino ancora una cosa da europei (o comunque non americani).

Mi sbaglio?
"E che cosa sarebbe la Bi-zona? È forse la zona per tornare in serie B?" "No, Bi-zona sta per Bis-zona, cioè 2 volte zona. È come se a lei dico Bi-stro, che non è francese. Vuol dire 2 volte stronzo. Arrivederci"
L'Allenatore nel Pallone
Gilbertology
Pro
Pro

Post by Gilbertology »

Fisicamente il buon Luol ha un nonsochè di Vieiresco....stantuffo in mezzo al campo, senza dubbio lo vedrei in quella posizione :forza:
francospicciariello
Senior
Senior

Post by francospicciariello »

blackiesan74 wrote:Perché, sarebbe la 1ª volta che gli utenti NBA ci "crocifiggono in sala mensa" per aver osato postare notizie MLS collegate all'NBA?

Mi basta ricordare di quando ti sei "permesso" di inserire la notizia che Steve Nash voleva farsi una partita di calcio a Central park con i Red Bulls.

blackiesan74 wrote:Perché, sarebbe la 1ª volta che gli utenti NBA ci "crocifiggono in sala mensa" per aver osato postare notizie MLS collegate all'NBA?

Be', questo articolo mi rende felice, sia perché Luol Deng è uno dei giovani più in vista nella NBA odierna (e quindi le sue parole hanno sicuramente una certa visibilità) sia perché il suo pensiero sembra sincero e traspare davvero la passione per il calcio.

Quello che un po' mi dà da pensare però è questo: Deng è sudanese ed è cresciuto in Inghilterra; Steve Nash è canadese; altri cestisti che giocano in NBA e si sono pronunciati sul calcio provengono dall'Europa... in sintesi, non ho ancora sentito nessuno statunitense parlare della MLS, quasi che la considerino ancora una cosa da europei (o comunque non americani).

Mi sbaglio?

Non sbagli. Ma credo che sia inevitabile. Non vedo come un cestista nero negli USA possa interessarsi al soccer. Del resto la comunità nera non è mai stata target di riferimento per il calcio negli Stati Uniti.
... I'm soccer crazy... MLS, NASL, USL, NCAA Soccer,  MISL, everything about US soccer (and even Canadian). C'mon pioneers...
blackiesan74
Rookie
Rookie
MLB Team: Boston Red Sox
NFL Team: New England Patriots
NBA Team: Boston Celtics
NHL Team: Boston Bruins

Post by blackiesan74 »

francospicciariello wrote:Mi basta ricordare di quando ti sei "permesso" di inserire la notizia che Steve Nash voleva farsi una partita di calcio a Central park con i Red Bulls.

Appunto a quell'episodio mi riferivo...

francospicciariello wrote:
Non sbagli. Ma credo che sia inevitabile. Non vedo come un cestista nero negli USA possa interessarsi al soccer. Del resto la comunità nera non è mai stata target di riferimento per il calcio negli Stati Uniti.

Sì, è vero, ho mal posto la questione. Più in generale volevo riferirmi agli atleti americani senza indicare uno sport in particolare. Ma come dici tu è normale.
"E che cosa sarebbe la Bi-zona? È forse la zona per tornare in serie B?" "No, Bi-zona sta per Bis-zona, cioè 2 volte zona. È come se a lei dico Bi-stro, che non è francese. Vuol dire 2 volte stronzo. Arrivederci"
L'Allenatore nel Pallone
NY_Cosmos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NY_Cosmos »

Agli afroamericani il soccer non è mai piaciuto, ricordo poco prima di Usa '94 intervistarono un nero di Harlem se secondo lui il soccer avrebbe potuto un giorno aver successo in america e lui rispose si, quando smetteranno di esistere il basket, il baseball e il football, ma come può avere successo uno sport che si gioca con i piedi??
You'll never walk alone!!
Gilbertology
Pro
Pro

Post by Gilbertology »

NY_Cosmos wrote:Agli afroamericani il soccer non è mai piaciuto, ricordo poco prima di Usa '94 intervistarono un nero di Harlem se secondo lui il soccer avrebbe potuto un giorno aver successo in america e lui rispose si, quando smetteranno di esistere il basket, il baseball e il football, ma come può avere successo uno sport che si gioca con i piedi??
:lol2:
Dal suo punto di vista il suo ragionamento non faceva una grinza